Jeff Dutton, Dave Ferguson, Mike Hanford, Matt Kowalick, and Chris VanArtsdalen join Jen this week to discuss their sketch group The Birthday Boys. They chat about their approach to comedy, and take Jen through the group’s history, from putting up their first sketches at a free midnight show at Upright Citizens Brigade, to working with Bob Odenkirk and now having their own TV show on IFC. They also wish Jen a happy birthday since this episode was recorded on her birthday, but that was just a weird coincidence.
Want to suggest a topic for an episode? Email email@example.com!
- Follow @thebirthdayboys on Twitter, go to thebirthdayboys.com to see some of their videos, and check out their sketch show on IFC Fridays at 10:30pm. You can also find their show on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/the-birthday-boys-season-1/id700993130?i=709889314
- To see one of their live shows, check them out at UCBLA on the first Wednesday of every month at 8pm, see them at the Troubadour 12/17/13 in Comedy for the Holidays II, and catch them at San Francisco Sketchfest and Riot LA in 2014.
- Dave’s recommendation: Nathan For You
- Mike’s recommendation: Deadwood
- Chris’s recommendation: the books of John Swartzwelder
- Jeff’s recommendation: Jon Favreau’s Made
- Matt’s recommendation: Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk
Alps by Motorama is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives (aka Music Sharing) License.