Justin Donaldson joins Jen to chat about the word “nerd,” and how its meaning has changed over the years. From its origin as slang for “square” in the 1950s to the connotation closer to “cool” that it has today, nerds have been wearing the term as a badge of honor for some time whether it was semantically positive or negative. There are even faux-nerds now! If only Jen could tell her 6-year old self not to worry…
Want to suggest a topic for an episode? Email email@example.com!
- Check out Justin’s Facebook page for updates on his projects and watch his videos on Funny or Die.
- Check out the Tournament of Nerds on Facebook and Twitter. This month it’s at UCBLA on 11/23/13 at 10pm, regularly the third Saturday of the month at midnight.
- Justin’s recommendation: Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
- Etymology of ‘nerd’
- ’90s nerd poster boy Steve Urkel
- And that nerd meme Jen mentioned…
Alps by Motorama is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives (aka Music Sharing) License.